Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ipsy - May Glam Bag

A friend of mine posted about Ipsy one day on her Facebook page and she was so excited to receive her "Glam Bag". Naturally I was curious so I looked it up on Google. I seem to have been behind on things because I was had never even heard of Ipsy. For those of you unfamiliar with Ipsy, they are a company that sends out monthly bags with samples (many are full size) of beauty products based on a quiz that you take upon joining. There are a few companies out there (another I looked up was Birchbox), but Ipsy is only $10 per month. Hell, I spend $10 on a lipstick or a mascara and half the time, I find that it does not quite work for me so why not spend my hard earned money on something that allows me to try several products to see if I like them. Seems logical to me.

I joined a two weeks ago and received my first bag yesterday. Ipsy packages their products into a cute cosmetic bag and then sends them out to us in a bright pink bubble envelope. I was like a kid in a candy store yesterday waiting on mine to be delivered and let me say, Ipsy did not disappoint. 


The first product that I received is the Pacifica Tahitian Gardenia Rollerball. It is the perfect size to toss into my purse (or my derby bag). I had never heard of Pacifica before until a co-worker told me about them. This particular blend reminds me of summer - in particular, laying on the beach in Hawaii. The gardenia is prominent, but not overwhelming. It has a subtle tropical undertone to it.

The next product is Zoya Nail Polish. I received a nude color called Jacqueline. First of all, I do not have nails. They are chewed to the quicks. Second...playing roller derby is not conducive for nails because they tend to break when getting slammed into the handrails. On the plus side, I do like painting my toes since that is the only cute (for lack of better words) thing about my feet (side note - derby does NOT give you cute or pretty feet either). While this nude color would not be my first choice, I am excited about the possibilities - undercoat for a darker color, undercoat with a glitter polish mixed in, ombre effect, etc. This month's Glam Bags offered it in four other beautiful pastel shades, but I think this one will have some versatility.

The third product was a lip gloss by Mirabella. I have never heard of Mirabella and other members appear to have received sheer lip sticks. Somewhere in my beauty quiz, I must have mentioned bold lip colors and glosses as a preference because they managed to nail both of those with this gloss. The color is a deep ruby shade and it is a very thick gloss. I tried it out last night and decided it was not quite for me. Plus, when I washed my face, there was a stain on my lips after. It is a beautiful color with a lot of shimmer, but I think I'll be trading this up with my co-worker (she also joined Ipsy).

The fourth product was a small palette of concealer by Yaby. Not sure where I went wrong when I listed my skin tone, but the color I received (Honey) is way too dark for me. I am very fair skinned and this just will not work. Maybe if I get some sun on my face this summer, but right now, it's delegated to my drawer.

The last product is my favorite -  Pacifica Coconut Crushed Pearl Body Lotion. Like the rollerball I received, this has a wonderful tropical/coconut scent to it and the color is a light beige with shimmer. I tested it on my wrist and it blends into my skin beautifully and leaves just a hint of sparkle/shimmer. This will be perfect when wearing strappy tops or a maxi dress in the summer.

All in all, I was very pleased with my first Glam Bag. I really do like the idea of trying various products before purchasing them. The cool thing about Ipsy is that you get a link to all of the companies who have provided the samples and each link offers discounts on the companies' products. It is well worth the $10 I am spending each month (my husband might disagree with that statement if he knew I was even a member of Ipsy). I am really excited to see what the June bag will be with summer quickly approaching (well, summer for everyone else - it's already in the 100's here in Phoenix). One other cool tip - for every two friends that you refer and after they sign up, Ipsy will send you a bonus in your Glam Bag. This month's offerings are an Urban Decay Moondust Eye Shadow or a beautiful bracelet from Baublebar. Who doesn't love free stuff????




No comments:

Post a Comment